January 05, 2005

Theme Week: Big '80's - The Police











The Police - Bring On The Night [Live]

I've been featuring the 70's for a while so this weeks "theme" is the '80's - specifically pop of the eighties. Starting off with the Police [who passed the torch to U2 in 1986 - they're next] but you gotta ask yourself, why did Sting have to break up the band after Synchronicity? "The Dream Of The Blue Turtles" was great and all, and I think he's had a bunch of hits since. But I don't know if the music has mattered as much as what the Police recorded. I can remember driving around the suburbs of southern Rhode Island listening to the Police on my friend Tim's tape deck, trying to figure out to the different parts - I played keyboards, he played guitar. For years I never made the connection between the band name "Police" and the name "Sting". I guess it was so obvious I never really thought about it. Enjoy.

2 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Yeah, where? We were in North Kingstown and then in Warwick for a short while. I was remembering driving around Route 1A - Saunderstown, Bonnet Shores, etc. listening to a lot of Rush.

 
At 3:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, here's a quick little Police story for ya.
In the late 70's the group were just starting to tour small clubs in North America. I was fortunate enough at the time to be doing an afternoon radio program at *******'s only alternative music outlet. Throughtout the week announcers shared MC duties. The stations feature presentation this particular night was of course The Police and yes it was my turn to MC. I bet there weren't 50 people in the whole place.

I sat drinking free beer and listening to their live show from no more than 3' from the stage. Neat huh?
It was an unforgettable night. The people who were there enjoyed the show.

I can't say which part of the show stood-out over any other, although I can honestly say I really enjoyed the free beer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home