January 11, 2005

Theme Week: New Wave - Gary Numan











Gary Numan - Are 'Friends' Electric [Live]
Gary Numan - Metal [Live]
Gary Numan - Cars [Live]

[The Flux Capacitor has shifted from "Big '80's" to "New Wave"] Between Tubeway Army and his solo work, Gary Numan is best known here in America for the somewhat novelty hit "Cars", but one of my favorite tracks, "Are 'Friends' Electric?", reached #1 on the UK singles chart in 1979 - who knew? I have to say his sincerity and longevity are respectable. He's got his own particular style, you know a Gary Numan track when you hear it. He's comfortable doing what he does best with a limited palette - Kraftwerk meets Adam Ant - but does it well. The early albums are best listened to from start to finish, back when an Album was a one hour journey into one mans (or one bands) musical vision. I recommend the obvious "The Pleasure Principle" as well as "Replicas" and "Telekon". He also hasn't seemed to have aged much, he's got more hair now than back in the day, what's up with that? [My Girlfriend at the time - now wife - created a nice piece of Book Art while at the Rhode Island School of Design inspired by the lyrics to "Cars"]


Buy at Amazon

7 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Jason!

Not only for the Numan tracks (btw, is there a live version of "This Wreckage"?), but also for those U2, Joe Jackson and Psychedelic Furs.

Paulo, in Brazil

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Hey Paulo, that's totally nice of you to post - thanks. As for "This Wreckage", the opening track from Gary Numan / Tubeway Army's Telekon, that track doesn't appear on the concerts I have, but I'll keep looking. Was Gary Numan popular in Brazil in the 70's - 80's?

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Paulo X said...

Jason,

As far as I remember (but my memory can't be trustet, I warn you) he wasn't that popular -- at least not on mainstream radio stations. Not even for "Cars".

Paulo

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

 
At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good day fellas. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking as far as something that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the shoes are around 340 dollars on every page. But completely I set this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase them. what is your opinion?

 
At 2:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging for that meticulous make. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are about 200 pounds everwhere. But for all I base this site selling them for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase these. what can you tell me about these?

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices seeking the boots were around 320 bucks on every page. But definitively I base this site selling them for half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what can you tell me about these?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home